2020 Water Sampling Project

2020 PFAS Water Sampling Project

In an effort to be proactive, the Town of Eagle conducted voluntary testing for a group of unregulated chemicals scientifically known as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in March of 2020. PFAS are sometimes called "forever chemicals." These chemicals are commonly found in firefighting foam, manufacturing processes, household products, and other items. Too much exposure may result in negative health effects. Eagle’s source water showed non-detects (ND) for all 18 PFAS tested.  On June 15, 2022 EPA issued interim updated drinking water health advisories for perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS) that replace those EPA issued in 2016. At the same time, EPA also issued final health advisories for two other PFAS, perfluorobutane sulfonic acid and its potassium salt (PFBS) and for hexafluoropropylene oxide (HFPO) dimer acid and its ammonium salt (“GenX chemicals"). In chemical and product manufacturing, GenX chemicals are considered a replacement for PFOA, and PFBS is considered a replacement for PFOS.

The 2020 sampling results for PFOA, PFOS, HFPO, and PFBS compared to interim health advisory values and detection limits are shown in the table below. 

PFAS Parameters

Eagle’s Source Water Value 2020 (ppt)1

Method Detection Limit (ppt)

EPA 2022 Health Advisory Value (ppt)2

Minimum Reporting Level (ppt)

PFOA

ND

0.43

0.004 (Interim)

4

PFOS

ND

0.43

0.02 (Interim)

4

HFPO

ND

0.43

10 (Final)

5

PFBS

ND

0.43

2,000 (Final)

3

 

Eagle’s source water showed non-detects for all 18 PFAS tested. This is below EPA’s health advisory for HFPO and PFBS and below the method detection limit for PFOA and PFOS of 0.43 parts per trillion (ng/L) which means health impacts are not expected to occur. All of our PFAS test results are available at: www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/PFCs/2020-Sampling-Project.

1) Parts per trillion = Nanograms per liter (ppt = ng/L) − One part per trillion corresponds to one minute in 2,000,000 years, or 1/3 cups of water out of Grand Lake Reservoir. 

2) In setting the advisory levels the EPA assigned drinking water a 20% relative source contribution. This means that 20% of the risk was assigned to drinking water leaving 80% of exposure to be from other sources such as food, food packaging, personal care products, firefighting foam, household products and dust, and other sources. EPAs next step is to set enforceable standards for PFAS chemicals which will consider the feasibility of PFAS removal, the ability of labs to test for low concentrations, the cost of water treatment to consumers, and benefits. 

Where can I get more information?

Additional PFAS information can be found at www.colorado.gov/cdphe/pfcs. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at water@townofeagle.org.